Fire Department Horses

Barney Kraft, at center, had been Fire department horsesappointed Chief during the reorganization of the department on May 5, 1909. First Assistant Chief was Charles Hahn, and the Second Assistant Chief was Leon Albert.

The dapple gray team of horses was purchased in St. Louis for $400 by Aldermen Alex Vasterling and Joe Wilson, hence their names Joe and Alex. They were trained by Leland Albert and were first hitched to the wagon on May 25, 1909. They responded to their first call on June 7, 1909.

The Wagner Special Hose Wagon, Chemical Engine and Hook and Ladder was purchased from Fred Wagner and Son of St. Louis for $1,100, and arrived by boat on Dec. 12, 1908. It had a chemical reservoir, ladders, hooks, rope, 300 feet of hose, and all other appropriate and necessary paraphernalia.


  • Contact Info
  • 1 South Sprigg Street Cape Girardeau, MO 63703
  • Telephone 573.339.6330
  • Email capefire@cityofcape.org